Monday, April 2, 2012

The Backstory: From Echo to Our Letters and back to Echo

Okay! I have decided to document the back story of the making of my film short (you can follow along here on my blog). I did not do this when I was writing Echo The Play. It is a regret (somewhat..) because in many ways the back story of Echo is a story in and of itself. I learned many things. And I grew in many ways.

So, join me as I journey. Again. Firstly, I have decided to change the whole title. from Echo to Our Letters. And I have changed the whole scope, in fact. Our Letters will have some elements of Echo but the storyline will be one of hope. With Echo I was more concerned about bringing awareness to the issue of sex trafficking. With Our Letters I am more concerned with bringing out and highlighting the elements of hope and love.

Why? because as I thought about my own journey, as a woman, what helped me to live where those people around me who completely just loved me. Faults and all. Such things are the truth of beauty. And unhindered beauty leads us to the feet of freedom.

For those of you just reading about the news of echo: The DocuFilm,  I am bringing on board, fingers crossed,  a group of talented young students from the Academy of Arts (in San Francisco) for the actually making of the film. Also, my young friend Victorie will be featured in the film. She is a young girl of 19 years old, bright eyed and lovely. She has a dream of being an actor. She is filled with faith and innocence. And strength.

Our Letters is a short film that will completely be a labor of love for me. I am making it from the heart space of God as my single audience member. For me this is necessary. I do not want to carry the burden of thinking about whether people will like it. I did that with Echo. It was a heavy burden. And carrying such a weight stunts my creativity. I just want to make this film from my good heart. And that heart is concerned with whether or not the eternal God is smiling upon it.

And also, for myself personally, creating the short film from that stance allows me to enjoy my own life. I am blessed enough to have an amazing new job and I will be focusing upon it in a serious way! My goal with my new job is to learn how to be an extraordinary manager. And that requires effort, commitment and a lot of hard work (I'm in!). Also, there are things that I want to see, places that I would like to visit, relationships that I want to build. It is hard doing such things when the heart is sitting in the center of creative strife. Our Letters will be created from a more relaxed and peace-filled heart.

The film short will be a collaborative effort. It won't be very long. But, I am sure that it will be powerful. I say this because messages of hope and love are, perhaps, the most powerful ones known to mankind.

God is love.

Note: so today (april 6th, 2012) we had our first shooting and I changed the name, again, back to Echo. Why? because of the legacy and history. alot went into the making of the play. i learned many lessons and made many beautiful mistakes. so i decided to honor it all and stand upon the shoulders of the play. the film will still be very different but will carry the heart of Echo...but with a bigger dose of hope. i am pleased. selah....

*******************************************************

"May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us." – Mother Teresa

No comments: